This is a strongly management position with a broad range of responsibilities. The Assistant/Associate Art Director reports to the Art Director and has to support him in guiding and refining the strong artistic vision for Deep Silver´s lineup, helping shape the direction of the projects.
The Assistant/Associate Art Director will assist the Art Director with wide range of tasks including research, maintaining internal databases. Additionally the ideal candidate needs to be an experienced and flexible artist, to be able to put final touches on any game asset, visualise feedback, or provide from paint-overs, to mood paintings and finished concept for environments, locations, props, etc.
A pro-active and communicative attitude are a must have. The Assistant/Associate Art Director needs to have strong cooperation with all departments, including: Art, Engineering, Design, Audio and Marketing to ensure the art vision is shared by all. Finally the Assistant/Associate Art Director would coordinate with the Art Director to track internal production tasks for the Deep Silver Art Department, help identify art needs, etc.
This job will require travels between our Munich headquarters and our development studios.
- Keep excellent communication with the Art Director and will assist managing the Deep Silver Art Department schedule and workflow
- Assist the Art Director reviewing all artwork and game art content developed by the Development Teams, seeking for improvements and identify possible weaknesses.
- Contribute to the preparation of Editorial Debriefings and support the Art Director in the Milestones Debriefings and Evaluations.
- Oversee Deep Silver Art Outsourcing needs according to project specifications and deadlines. Maintain the Outsourcers database at the Deep Silver´s HQ; Where needed own the quality control over all incoming art assets and provide constructive written and visual feedback to off-site art teams. Ensure timelines and project estimates are going according to plan;
- Partner with the Art Director to define and own project needs
- Ensure that all Department Documentation is properly developed and maintained on the Publisher side (Brand IP Style Guidance/Bible, Outsourcing Companies, Freelancers, etc.)
- Create original art content, whereas a high quality concept artwork will be needed to support both the Project Game Art Direction and the Development Art Team
- Act with the consumer and the market in mind, and demonstrate a very good knowledge of the game industry and its evolution.
- Research, explore industry trends in game development in regards to art design and technologies, and communicate best practices in his area;
- Maintain good and productive relationships at all levels within the organization, as well as with external partners, customers, prospects, and vendors
- A Bachelor’s degree in Art from an accredited school;
- 3+ years of professional industry experience, having participated in the production of at least two game titles.
- An exceptional understanding of light, form, shape, structure and silhouette in regards to illustration and design is needed.
- In-depth understanding how to develop a cohesive visual style and previous experience working with Art Director, Outsourcing, or Art Recruiting. (Beneficial)
- Strong foundation in the arts especially in lighting, mood, composition colour theory and form /function;
- Strong conceptualisation skills such as sketching, illustrating, drafting and painting
- Experienced with digital content creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter, etc
- Experience in game art asset creation in a variety of software packages such as Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop
- Outstanding verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be highly organised, self driven, customer focused, and a great team player
- Have a strong familiarity with art pipelines and technical limitation in game development
- Thrives in a collaborative work culture
- Able to explore a wide variety of ideas and ability to work in a broad range of visual styles
- Willingness to learn and to follow guidance
- Ability to respond elegantly to difficult creative changes, even late in the process
- Experience in working with outsourced art teams and art integration
- Experience designing interfaces
Please provide us with coverletter, CV & (most important) your portfolio (url or pdf).
Deep Silver │ Koch Media GmbH │ Lochhamer Str. 9 │ 82152 Planegg/Munich │ Germany │ www.deepsilver.com │ www.kochmedia.com